TRA: WRITERS’ GUIDELINES
We are big fans of contemporary non-fiction, especially ideas which are based on the intersection of social reflection and literature. Under creative nonfiction, you can write about various themes of politics, sociology, history and the role of literature in them. For example, you can base a piece on the influence of language regionalism in literature across India and the globe. Finding an intersection between art and the portrayal of women in them, writing about partition remembrance or the play of scent in conceiving nostalgia for a place are just a few examples.
We’d love for you to write compositions that helped you be yourself and find relevance. We’d really love it if you chose an more personal issue since we always encourage our writers to channel their inner voice.
Tell us what makes it special for you, how it moved you, made you a different person. Don’t be afraid of experimenting and including a personal voice.
What does creative non-fiction consist of:
Personal Narrative essays (800-1500 words)
Commentary pieces (600-1000 words)
- Society and Culture
- Art & Cinema
Travel and Memoirs (500-1000 words)
Reviews: Books, Cinema, Documentaries, Art, Art Events, Gallery Openings (500-800 words)
Visual Stories (a maximum of 6 photographs)
1) Please fill in this form to submit your piece.
2) All written content being submitted for publication should be attached as a Microsoft Word attachment. 12-point Times New Roman is preferred
3) If your submission includes sensitive themes, please specify it with a Content Warning (CW) and/or Trigger Warning (TW) at the very beginning before the content of your write-up begins
4) Try to include relevant sub-headings for longer pieces and a strong personal comment for commentary pieces
5) Simultaneous submissions are welcome but please let us know if the pitch gets accepted elsewhere
6) We prefer previously unpublished material but may accept previously published material as long as authors own its copyright and appropriate attribution is provided
7) TRA is not a paying market currently however we do wish to monetarily complement our writers in future. If you wish to help TRA sustain its operations, please consider visiting the donation option on the website.
Note: We will try our best to respond back within 14 days of receiving your pitch, however, do write to us if it takes us longer to get to you.